Friday, January 28, 2011

Bringing it back up to speed...

Alright, so I briefly mentioned a few things the other day, but let me try again...  When last I updated I was posting homework assignments for FSU's Game Design course.  I became quite engrossed in the coding for our actual group project, though, and as a result stopped posting anything here!  I also forgot all about the last couple of written assignments in the process!  EEK!  Ah well... the long and short is that we got the game working pretty well by the time we presented it to the class, and got a perfect score!  Woohoo!  It still isn't quite to a level that I'm happy with, though, and I want to clean it up a little bit before I'm willing to release it as a public prototype/demo-that-will-never-be-further-developed.  Davide has also expressed an interest in making it a bit clean, so that he can use it in applying for grad schools and the likes... so hopefully I'll have some more to report on that before long.

The main reason that it's been so long without updates, though, is actually more than just a rush to finish the class... I've been quite busy:  I got a full-time job!  Woo!  It's actually not very exciting, though- it drains most of my time and energy, and is not personally fulfilling.  But hey, I have income now, and that's quite useful.  Now that I've settled into the routine a bit, though, I decided it was time to get back to work!  For the past week or so I've been putting daily work into my game programming efforts.  Last year I built a game called Alpaca Fiesta, effectively a clone of Bejeweled Blitz, as a project and a gift for my girlfriend.  I talked about it some back here.  I've been continuing work on that, especially back-end stuff with how I deal with sub-windows on the screen, and how image files are dealt with.  My goal is to be completely done with AF by late February, and have a nice engine/library from it to use in my next big project!

Speaking of my next big project... it's not just some vague idea; it's a game I've been mentally designing for years and year now, and actual-paper-and-pencil designing for the last several months.  It's something like a spiritual successor to one of my favorite strategy games:  Star Wars Rebellion.  I've got some ideas that still need ironing, but the core of my design is coming along quite nicely, and I should have a pretty complete image of what it's going to look like by the time I start coding in a few weeks!  I've also got a lot of learning to do before then, especially in relation to OpenGL, since I've not worked with it before, and I want the game to incorporate at least some minor use of 3D.  The one key thing I haven't decided on for the game yet, though, is its name.  Details, details...

Anyway, that's a good enough rundown of what's been going on, perhaps?  Hopefully for the near future I'll be able to fall into a pattern of giving regular updates on the progress made each day, and any ideas I have or problems I run into.

No comments:

Post a Comment